Monday, April 10, 2017

Games as a Medium

          Existenze is an interesting movie, from what was shown in class, I don't think I would want a bio-port in me. I did find how the gaming consuls are basically made up of organs and living tissue to be clever, but from what I have seen the movie is a bit confusing. It reminds me of Inception mixed with Alien mixed with Sword Art Online. I appreciated the take on how the movie portrayed the progression of gaming and technology, basically fusing into people. I feel that this could totally happen for I could see phones being implanted into our heads or contacts being able to record our lives. Gaming is already addicting to a point, I could imagine when gaming reaches this level people will become so dependent on technology that they will fuse it with their being to some point.

          With the reading on Tetris, I was amazed at how the game came about. Alexey made this for fun, on a computer that was extremely archaic, and in a Soviet Computer Science facility. He made this in his free time, basing it off an puzzle gam he use to play. The simplicity of the game and the overall goal is so easily universally understood that the game had to be successful. I enjoyed reading the back story of how games were coming together before Tetris was invented, which gave the story a nice structure. I also liked how Alexey made up the name for his game by fusing "tetra" meaning numbers and "Tennis" which is his favorite sport. I'm not a big gamer, but I do believe that all games are an art. I believe that anything that takes a special mind or a special practice is an art, whether that is gaming, movies, surgery, accounting, really anything the average person could not do without practice. I did use to play the one of the original Mario games on the Nintendo 64, and people had to create the game. They had to create the characters, create the world, the story, and through that art is made.

No comments:

Post a Comment